Thursday, May 31, 2007

New Idea! A good one? Hmmm...


Here's an idea that's kind of cute, but I have some reservations about it. How many times have you asked someone what they want to drink and the response comes back "Anything" or "Whatever"? Well, "Out of the Box", a very literal-minded Singapore beverage company, has decided to take these non-committal consumers at their word. The thing is, Anything and Whatever comes in many different flavors, but you never know which one you're going to get because the can doesn't say.

This is a very clever, catchy idea, but I have to say it makes me nervous. I'm calling B.S. on this one guys. Do we really need to contribute to the dumbing down of consumer culture, especially in an industry that is just starting to find some new vigor? We should be educating the public, not catering to their stupidity. If I went to the movies and just said, "Gimme a ticket to anything", I'd probably find myself sitting in some Reese Witherspoon comedy and pissed. Let's think before we put something out there guys, we've all got to work in this industry, and its an uphill battle. It took years to convince consumers to consider a non-corn syrup beverage, like the wonderful Boylan's brand. Do we really want to lower the discourse? What do you guys think?

No comments: